Friday, November 5, 2010

A good book is like a garden carried in your pocket.

Today, as I was half listening in class, I realized that there is an interest of mine I have yet to write about. That is reading. I realized I love talking about books, yet rarely get the opportunity, because people hardly ever enjoy getting told about a book before reading it, therefore ruining the ending. Well I guess that is why people blog, so they can basically talk about anything they want and have people that are interested read it, and hopefully change some outlooks. Today I just wanted to write about books. Well I feel it fitting to first introduce you to my favorite writer. 

Mister Stephen King. The King of horror novels. Most of you have heard about him, or seen his movies, BUT have you ever read one of his books. Before reading him I had never honestly been scared by a book, I thought it impossible, but you only have to make the mistake of reading a King novel at night once before you find that to be untrue. If you thought his movies were scary, get ready because his books are way better (better meaning worse). Spine chilling, honestly is the only word for it. Now I know, you would probably think these books do not have any happy themes, but on the contrary. His books though dark, actually sometimes have nice messages, if you dig for them. There are lots of different views on life that you learn about a character if they are say being held captive, or being attacked by aliens. They are also humerous and the best part is they are interesting. I'm not a fan of those romantic novels where boy meets girl then they ride off into the sunset, it bores me quite honestly. I like the terror because at least it keeps me awake, even if it is because I am terrified. More than horror I would call King the king of suspense. The way he writes books is basically to drive the reader crazy, wanting to know what will happen next, however by the time you get back to that character you could care less and just want to know about another character. Also every book I have read by him, has had a relatively happy ending. My favorite book of his so far was Dreamcatcher. WARNING DON'T WATCH THE MOVIE UNLESS YOU ARE EITHER LOOKING TO BE ANGRY OR LOOKING FOR A GOOD LAUGH. Because I honestly have no idea what book the director read. It was fine, up until the end, which is kind of the best part of the book.
                                     Never judge a book by its movie.  ~J.W. Eagan 
Thank you J.W. Misery is the best movie I have ever seen come out of a Stephen King novel. All of his books are good, I have yet to not enjoy one. Of course I will end my rant about Stephen King with my all time favorite quote from any of his books.
"Dreamers age faster than dreams."

Alright another one of my favorite books is Alice in Wonderland. I have never seen the movie, and I am seeing the play tomorrow, but nothing could be quite like the book. It explores imagination, and adventure, and expresses belief in the impossible. The author is Lewis Carroll. There are alot of stories behind the reasons for writing such a different kind of book where one of the themes is being crazy, and nothing really makes sense. The one that makes most sense to me is that it is an allagory, but hey thats just me, think whatever you want about this book because it is insane. My favorite quote? Well since you asked:
"Sometimes I have believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

Another wonderful author is S.E Hinton. I read her most popular novel The Outsiders in gradeschool, and went on to reading all of her novels. My favorite is Rumblefish, but all her books deal with groups of teenage boys, and the only reason she went with the name S.E. was because they did not think a girl would be able to write well enough on that particular topic, but they are extremely realisic and beautiful books.


Ladies and gentlemen, say hello to the only series I have ever liked. A Series of unfortunate events by Lemony Snicket. Just good stuff. Don't watch the movies and thing you know the books, because you are 100% wrong.

Water for Elephants. Fascinating.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Beautiful.

In Cold Blood. Chilling.

Like Water for Chocolate. It's certainly something.

King Soloman's Mines. Classic.

Room. Unique.

Rapture of Caanan. Interesting.

There are so many more I could talk about, but these are basically all my favorites. Books are a way to just get away from it all, to just sit back, relax, and enjoy.

The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it.  ~James Bryce

(so true James, so true)




No comments:

Post a Comment